Saturday, May 21, 2016

All I had to do was follow directions...

I have a training plan for my 50 mile race in July. The training plan is designed to make sure I am ready for that race, without over stressing my body. The idea behind the plan is to gradually increase mileage, both in single runs, and in total weekly mileage, so that my body can acclimate, and avoid injury.

The catch?  For the training plan to work, I have to follow it.

So, last week I followed my plan pretty well, and did 22 miles on Saturday at Eklutna Lake, and 10 miles on Sunday.  This is what my training plan said for this week:

Monday: rest day
Tuesday: rest day
Wednesday 10 miles
Thursday: 8 miles
Friday: rest day
Saturday: 24 miles
Sunday: 10 miles
Total weekly mileage: 52

This is what actually happened this week:

Monday: I always run either about 3.25 or about 4.1 miles on Monday, but they are fairly easy miles, in a group run put on by my local running store, Active Soles. 3.25 miles

Tuesday: I don't have rest days. I run every day, because I am streaking. So for me, on rest days, I typically run 1 mile on a treadmill, and use those miles to run fast. 1 mile, in 9:18.

Wednesday: I planned to run 10 miles after work at 4:30. I didn't get off til after 8:00 pm, though, Tried out a trail at an outdoor recreation center that was sort of on my way home. I ran every inch of the trail, and all I got was 1.54 miles.

Thursday: Again, my plan was to run the 8 miles after work. I worked until 9:00. Ugh. Went to Matanuska Lake and ran 4.25 miles. I love those trails, even when I'm tired.

Friday: 1 mile, on the treadmill again, this time in 8:58.

Saturday: I was going to run 24 miles, really I was. I woke up and it was raining. I went and ran a couple errands, then came home, because my husband was going to ride his bike while I ran. He was taking a nap when I got home, since it was cold and rainy, and I took a nap with him. It was chilly and rainy all afternoon, I just couldn't get up the motivation to run for 5 hours in that. I took the dog for a quick run around the neighborhood. 1.25 miles. 

Tomorrow: Tomorrow I am going to do my long run!! 24 miles. The weather is supposed to be better, but even if not, I'm going to have to just suck it up and do it.

Total weekly mileage: 36.29 (counting tomorrow's run)

Yeah. I didn't quite make it. This isn't going to get me to Chena Hot Springs.

I am SO not a morning person, but I am starting to think I may have to get my butt out of bed at 4:45 on Wednesday and Thursday mornings to get those runs in. I have a job that requires me to work late on a distressingly regular basis, and clearly waiting til after work isn't working. Somehow I have to get those miles in. And I've got less than 2 months til my race, so I can't afford to stay home when the weather sucks anymore. After all, I might very well have to run the race in crappy weather. The weather was chilly and rainy for it last year...



No comments:

Post a Comment