Sunday, January 1, 2017

2017


So, you might be thinking that since I'm posting on New Year's Day, that it's going to be about my New Year's resolutions.  Well, yes. You'd be absolutely right. But first, Happy New Year's everyone, and thank you to all the people that have taken the time to read my blog!

So, some years I do more resolutions than others, but generally, I'm kind of a fan of them. Yes, they are often the same old things that everyone says, but I think that's because most people want to better themselves,  and the new year is a good time, psychologically speaking, to sort of take stock of where you are, and where you want to go. And I'm no different than anyone else in that regard.  This year in particular, I'm feeling pretty goal oriented, and I have lots of things I want to accomplish in the next 365 days or so. I'll divide it into categories, as opposed to one big list.

Knitting:
1. I started a project today, a sky scarf. Basically, I will knit 2 rows every day, reflecting whatever the sky is doing that day. I'll finish it on December 31. Here's the beginning of that:


2. I'm participating in a sock club this year, that includes shipments of 6 skeins of sock yarn, one every other month, starting at the end of January. I typically get far behind on things like that, but this year I want to have all 6 of them knit by the end of the year.

Running:
1. Last year, I had a goal to run every day in 2016. I missed 4 days in August, starting with a backpacking trip with the family. I'm going to nail it this year, at least 1 mile every day.
2. I ran 1225.1 miles in 2016,  according to Garmin. I'm setting a mileage goal for 2017, of 1500 miles. A friend suggested 2017 miles, but I don't think that's realistic. Not with my crazy job.
3. I tried twice last summer to do a 50 mile run. The closest I got was 41.7 miles. I'm going to nail that this year too. I'm actually thinking about signing up for a 100 miler, but I haven't decided yet. My first opportunity will be at the Alaska Endurance Trail Run in Fairbanks on June 3. I'm already looking forward to it. I also plan on running Kesugi Ridge (about 29 miles), Resurrection Pass (either 50 or 100 miles), and A Day at the Beach (12 or 24 hours). I'm going to have to miss the Angel Creek 50 this year because I'll be in Utah that weekend for an important family thing. But AC50 is on the list for 2018 already.

Fitness:
1. Training for all the long running mentioned above. Plus, I've got my eye on the Tahoe 200 in 2018, and I want to be in the best shape I can be to get ready for that. 200 miles is a long ways, even if I have 4 days to do it.  I have a running training plan that started on Christmas Day, actually. Tomorrow, the plan calls for 12 miles. That's the longest I've run in a few months, and I'm excited.
2. In addition to the running training, I'm incorporating cross training in the form of yoga and strength training. For strength training, right now I'm doing Insanity Max:30, which is a blend of cardio and tabata style strength training. When  that's done, I'll transition to the Hammer and Chisel workout program,  then go from there. I really like Cross fit, but I haven't been able to fit the classes into my schedule and I don't have the equipment I need to do it at home.
3. Right now, I'm out of shape. After Christmas,  my weight was at 147.1, with a body fat percentage of 36.5%. That is way too high to let me be an efficient runner. I need to get it down to less than  130, and about 22% body fat.  I started back on the Take Shape For Life eating plan (I'm still a health coach for TSFL) the day after Christmas,  and even though I've had a couple slips, I'm down to 144.1 and 35.9% body fat.
4. I've got a room in my basement that I have been planning to set up as a home gym for a while now, that is currently mostly storage and construction work space. By the end of the year, it's going to be a functioning home gym. I don't know if I'll have a treadmill by then or not, because those are crazy expensive,  but it's going to have everything else.

Financial:
1. I'm trading in my car. I think I'm actually going to be ordering a car. I've never done that before.
2. Only 3 more payments on Becky's braces!!! Yay!! Then we will apply that money to pay off another bill. Start the snowball effect going! Long term goal is to be out of debt except my student loans by the time Steven graduates, in 4 and a half years. Student loans shouldn't be far behind that.
3. I'm really going to focus this year on not spending money frivolously. Not really sure how I'm going to keep track of this, or what parameters I'm going to set yet, but I'm mulling it over.

So there you have it. As concisely as possible, that's what I plan to accomplish this year. What are your resolutions? Feel free to share in the comments!!




2 comments:

  1. The sock club sounds so cool! What company are you doing that with?

    ~ Lora @ Crazy Running Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue Moon Fiber Arts (http://www.bluemoonfiberarts.com/newmoon/) I've done it before, and loved it. Their yarn is fabulous, and I always love the colors. Plus, I love that its a surprise every time.

      Delete